Followers

Monday, May 15, 2017

Houses Around the Books/ Tree Ring Circle of Fun!

Hi Everybody (waving vigorously)👋

Boy oh boy am I a happy mini-lover! A library in my area has started a mini group! As we all know miniaturism can be such an isolating hobby. Requiring only one set of hands. Yet, we also know nobody understands us like we do. So having like minded people around is more than fun. It is stimulating!

It started one day around Halloween.  There was a mini display in the library vestibule. "Excuse me" I had to ask the lady at the desk..."can you tell me who put that display together out there?" From there it went.

We meet once a month to make tiny things and chat about...whatever! The ladies are ultra talented and everyone has something to add. It is a diverse group. Whoever desires can lead the group for the monthy mini project. All we have to bring is ourselves. Most times, there will be other items on display around the room by whomever wants to share their creations. What is even more awesome is we brainstorm with one another when we are stumped about something we are working on at home. It can even be brought in to get live feedback.

The librarian, who started it all, is a full mini addict from "across the pond" and participates equally. She makes me think of my followers who also hail from other countries. Sorry, I don't have any pictures as yet, but promise some in the future.

So far, the group has made a water feature, tiny pillows, cake from bread scraps, bead perfume vanity trays, tote-bags and maybe a few other things before I joined.  I presented the perfume trays and pillows.

********************************

A couple of weeks ago while I was out of state, I just happened to be exploring a thrift shop I had never seen. I was shopping along minding my business, when out of the corner of my eye I saw this.  (Move over kid. Let them see! Can't blame him...I feel the same way.)

Melissa & Doug Classic Wooden Tree House Set | Overstock.com Shopping - Big Discounts on Melissa and Doug Play Sets:
https://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Melissa-Doug-Classic-Wooden-Tree-House-Set/3164427/product.html  
 This is not a picture of mine...of course. (I would be in the picture hovering over him) It is from Overstock.com


The swing was all I could really see in my line of vision which was quickly sized up in my mini mind. Yep! Looks 1:12 to me!  I tried not to look crazy and run in slow motion to grab it before the child in front of me got to it. I had already skulked around waiting patiently for her to put the Barbie bike down. So, I sauntered over then swooped it quickly into my shopping cart...just in case.

Mine is missing a few parts including the house on top, a trapdoor bridge next to the house, the tire  swing ( seems I saw it  around here somewhere ) and tree branches that I am sure I have in my stash (or Dollar Tree time!). It is a bit wobbly making it hard to move for pictures just yet. Which means it still needs tender loving care, and that is perfect, because this is the very project my granddaughter and I had planned to make one day. A TREEHOUSE! I can see birds and animals and a few other things added.

Oh yeah, it was discounted that day costing me about $2.75! 😎😎😎

21 comments :

  1. what a good and beautiful idea
    thank you for sharing
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claude,
      Thanks, Glad you enjoyed it!
      Hugs back to you!

      Delete
  2. Hello Grandmommy,
    What a great find. that treehouse is awesome. I know, with your skills, you'll be able to make up for any missing pieces. What a great project.
    I am so happy you found a miniature group. It must be so nice to have like-minded people to work with. Have fun.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there GIAC! Thanks for your vote of confidence! Hopefully this will be an easy project. I do want to make it look as realistic as possible.
      The group is a Godsend.

      Delete
  3. Fantástico quisiera ser ese niño; buen día:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa!

      Ella es el nieto que es un verdadero amante de la casa de muñecas.

      Delete
  4. I can't think of anything better than having a mini group to share things with. Your new project was a bargain. Enjoy you mini making time :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Pepper!
      Sometimes when I am drooling at your work, I think, gosh! I wish she lived in my neighborhood. LOL

      Delete
  5. WOW! What a steal on that treehouse! Honestly, I bet it looks a lot better than the stock picture after you've jazzed it up. The Melissa and Doug stuff always strikes me as a bit bland, so I'll be looking forward to seeing how you redo it.

    Your miniatures group sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Presto!
      Don't you love it! You are right about Melissa and Doug. It is not that sturdy either. I am thinking about grass, bushes, sand under the swing, birds, I already have a gorilla who might be hiding I haven't decided yet. LOL I am sure I will get some ideas from my mini group. They are so creative!

      Delete
  6. What a great find! I'm sure it will be the base for a lot of cool things.

    The miniature store relatively near me has a get together once every couple of weeks or so to work on a mini project. Unfortunately, 1/12 isn't really my thing. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb!
      Thanks! What do you think of putting real plants on it? I consider that too.

      I went to a miniature show for 1/2 scales. There were some 1:12 folks there also. I took a class on lighting 1:24 but was able to apply it to 1:12!

      Delete
  7. Having a mini group sounds awesome and so much fun. What a great find on that treehouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's Up Muff!
      I have wanted to have a good group to play with for some time. If I get stuck on a project I know I can go to them. There has been a 12 year old up to over 70. Some outgoing some shy. Several cultures. All of that makes it even more fun!

      Delete
  8. Oh I wish I had a mini group near me. It is an "isolating hobby"...great find on the treehouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Mini Cofessions,

      I have been waiting for this for years. I wish we met more than once a month for two hours! We tried to get twice a month but the librarian is actually working during that time when she leading the group.

      Delete
  9. That was a huge score!! Congratulations on getting it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Georgia Girl! Sorry so late responding. Thanks. I have it right here near me all of the time and it keeps staring at me telling me to finish it! LOL

      Delete
  10. Congrats on getting the tree house for such a good price, The Grandmommy! And on connecting with a fun mini group!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya D7ana!
    Thank y ou! I was thrilled to get it. Now I am trying to decide how to put bark on it to look more natural. The leader of the group is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Big and Little Creations Team,

    My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

    I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog Big and Little Creations has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 100 Miniature Blogs on the web.

    http://blog.feedspot.com/miniature_blogs/

    I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 100 Miniature Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

    Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.


    Best,
    Anuj

    ReplyDelete

It is fun hearing from all of you!