Followers

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Taking them for Granite!

 I have decided that this house will be for the transferring couple you met. It is the house with the  Shiny floors. :-)


I recently bought a what I felt were cute kitchen counters. There was something about them that just didn't seem up-to-date. While I was re-arranging my paints and finishes for the upteenth time, I came across something called Granite Stone. I had no idea why I was buying it when I did. But then, do I ever? LOL I also bought two other types of finishes by the same company.

I can't wait to try the others!

 Any hoo, I tried a little on the counters and I like how they turned out. They look a bit rough and most granite counters are somewhat smooth. So, after they dry, I think I will pull out my trusty polyurethane and see how that works. There is also a refrigerator and stove to match. I plan on painting them with the same paint.

The only problem I came across is the paint on the sink. I wanted it to look like stainless steel. Instead it looks gloppy. (thick and sloppy for my friends from outside the US). I used a silver Sharpie and several different paints trying to get the right effect before I ended up with these results.

I plan to put a soap dish or something between the faucets because it looks worse and worse the more
I try to fix it.

Now wouldn't you take them for granite?

Here is what the original finished looked like

I loved the finish before I added the chrome finish on the sink
That white just didn't work with the granite

Yuk! Maybe I will wait till it dries and sand it again then add a better coat


Before and after finish showing the product I used

Another before and after view. The granite color is more accurate in the above photos

This is the final paint I used for the sink. Don't ask. The label is missing lol

Corner section redone



Click on picture for a larger view

12 comments :

  1. Interesting technique, it really looks like granite. Thanks for showing how.
    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wynra,

      You are very welcome. It was really fun and easy to do.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic product! The finished result is gorgeous! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eliana,

      Thanks! I loved working with it. You only need a very tiny amount to get great results.

      Delete
  3. Hello Grandmommy,
    I love and respect any artist who is adventurous and tries new things. in this case the granite effect is lovely. I have never simulated stainless steel, but I wonder if oil paint might give a good effect? I cannot wait to see more.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giac,

      Thanks! Oil paint huh? hmmm I guess that is what I will have to try. I still have the refrigerator and stove to do.
      major hugs

      Delete
    2. Giac,

      Thanks so much. I will certainly try the oil paint as I still have the store and refrigerator to do.

      Delete
  4. Awesome! I love the new look. I may have to invest in a little granite stone. I should probably just look through all my stuff. There's probably something down there similar. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa,

      Thanks Vanessa! :-) If you don's find something down there, I think I either got them at a thrift store or on clearance. However the price on the granite is only $4.39 and a little goes a lonnng way!

      Delete
  5. Hi Grandmommy, what a exiting idea to try someting you don´t know how it turns out :)
    But it looks wonderful, so perhaps I should try more :)

    Hugs Mieke xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Mieke,

      Thanks! I was a little nervous, but I tried it on a little corner first. Next time I will use a piece of scrap wood.

      Delete
  6. They continue to be used today, in a wide variety of styles. Check out this site to know more about quartz countertops.

    ReplyDelete

It is fun hearing from all of you!